- India- Population of 1.2 billion people with a GDP growth rate of about 9% is the one of the biggest consumer market in the world.
- India’s Livestock population is amongst the highest in the world.
- The livestock sector contributes to generally 4% to the GDP and 27% to the agricultural GDP.
- In addition to providing nutritional security to the pool, it offers , provides direct and indirect employment to over three million people and have been the key contributors within the livestock sector.
- The market size of the poultry industry is estimated around USD – 7.9 billion (INR-350 billion) and is growing at an alternate rate of 12-15 % annually.
- India is the 3rd largest producer of eggs with annual production of 57 billion eggs and 5th largest producer of poultry meat with a production of 2.5 million tones of poultry meat.
- Percapita consumption of eggs in India is 68 eggs
Percapita consumption of poultry meat is 2.5 kgs.
INDIAN POULTRY SECTOR STRENGTH
- Globally India ranks 3rd in egg production and 5th in poultry meat production.
- Eggs and chicken meat are the cheapest source of animal protein affordable by the masses.
- Poultry products account for more than 75% of the non-vegetarian items consumed in India.
- Industry’s growth rate of 12-15 % as compared to national GDP growth rate of 9%.
- Integration is taking over in broiler industry.
- The key players are also moving into vertical integration by setting up retail chains, processing and marketing.
Retail poultry sector opportunities
- Biggest consumer market in the world – population of 1.2 billion growing at GDP of 9%